Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Reduced global steel trade fuels upward price momentum26.04.2021Traditional global steel trade patterns were severely disrupted over the past twelve months. The Covid-19 pandemic reduced demand and production in most nations.
- Demand for structural steel set to rebound22.04.2021European long product transaction values have remained relatively stable, following the initial recovery at the start of this year. The market is, however, closely linked to Turkish scrap imports and fluctuations in the price for this commodity.
- European flat product prices reach new peaks20.04.2021European hot rolled coil and sheet values reached new heights, during early April. Further increases are already being pushed through and quotations from regional suppliers now have extremely short validity.
- Import scarcity intensifies EU stainless steel shortage06.04.2021The shortage of stainless steel coil and sheet in Europe has renewed market discussion surrounding the European Commission’s (EC’s) safeguard quotas.
- Regional stainless steel flat product prices reach multi-year highs30.03.2021Global stainless steel prices continued to strengthen in early March, most notably for 300 series coil and sheet. The upward trend is supported by healthy demand, severe material shortages, and extended delivery lead times for replacement tonnages.
- Rising Chinese prices drive global steel values upwards25.03.2021The global steel sector was in a state of reflection, in the first half of February. Supply chain participants were looking to the Chinese market and developments in the post-Lunar New Year holidays for direction.
- Nordic flat product prices continue to rise25.03.2021Northern European flat product prices continued to rise, throughout March, amid tight supply. This is preventing customers from building inventory. Value-added coil and sheet are particularly difficult to source.
- European steel coil prices forecast to reach record levels22.03.2021Tight supply is expected to propel sheet and coil prices, in Europe, to all-time high figures, in the near term. The recovery in the Chinese steel market, following the Lunar New Year holidays, was stronger than anticipated.