Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Steel import tariffs and CO2 border taxes: protectionism or encouragement?07.12.2020Since late 2019, the European Commission has been considering the introduction of a CO2 border tax, covering all industrial sectors. At first glance, this has the appearance of another protectionist measure
- Vaccine news boosts European stainless steel market02.12.2020As we head into the final few weeks of 2020 the European stainless steel market is turning its attention to what the new year will bring. The second round of coronavirus-related lockdowns and increased restrictions are starting to be lifted again
- Fears of supply shortage grow in US stainless market30.11.2020The short-term outlook for the US stainless steel sector is cautiously optimistic. Many market participants reported a flurry of activity ahead of the Thanksgiving holidays.
- Demand in Poland dictated by coronavirus second wave26.11.2020The economic recovery in Poland continues to stutter. The IHS Markit Poland Manufacturing PMI remained unchanged for October, indicating that growth is lacking momentum.
- A tale of two products: as plate struggles, coil surges24.11.2020Stark contrasts are currently being witnessed between the markets for steel plate and coil. While the former is grappling with weak consumption and overcapacity, the latter is flourishing amid brisk demand and tight supply.
- EU steel buyers prepare for further price increases23.11.2020European coil prices continued their meteoric rise, in November. The MEPS Europe Average Hot Rolled Coil transaction value has climbed by more than 25 percent since June of this year.
- Q3 recovery in steel demand better than expected05.11.2020Many nations witnessed an unprecedented drop in steel demand, in the second quarter of 2020, at the height of the first wave of coronavirus infections. During this time, several individual country PMI readings fell to the lowest levels ever recorded.
- Mill profitability improves following difficult 202028.10.2020The world steel industry has been savaged by coronavirus-related economic restrictions, rising raw material costs and weakening steel prices, during 2020. Mills in all regions recorded disastrous financial results.