Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Global steel prices soar in September but for how long?24.09.2020Steel prices increased worldwide in September, but buyers are questioning how long the uptrend will last. The rising cost of raw materials, reduced supply and an improvement in demand are the main drivers for the recent advances in global steel prices.
- Tight supply & recovering auto demand drive up EU coil prices24.09.2020Coil basis values strengthened rapidly across Europe this month. The upward trend is expected to be maintained, in the near term. The producers’ price hikes are being driven by supply restrictions from both local and overseas sources.
- Rising scrap costs support European rebar prices22.09.2020Modest, scrap-based price rises were implemented by rebar producers in Western European countries, this month. Consumption by the construction industry remains relatively healthy. Nevertheless, a lack of large-volume transactions is noted and concerns
- UK beam/merchant bar prices rise by £15/20 per tonne21.09.2020In the UK, beam mills recently collected the outstanding £15 per tonne from their initial tabled price rise. A further increase is proposed. Local buyers hold mixed views regarding whether the second hike can be implemented.
- Stock shortages developing in the European steel market21.09.2020European steel market participants implemented inventory reduction plans during the recent coronavirus pandemic. Many distributors were selling old stock to improve cash flow.
- Stainless steel markets in ‘wait and see’ mode as September approaches28.08.2020Stainless steel markets are cautiously optimistic regarding demand in the remainder of 2020. A steady, month-on-month, increase in activity has been witnessed, following the easing of lockdown restrictions, in many countries.
- Long product prices start to edge upwards in the Netherlands28.08.2020In the Netherlands, variety in pricing for long products is identified, especially for medium sections and beams.