Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Stainless flat prices fall as Q2 outlook deteriorates28.04.2023April is traditionally a slow month, in terms of activity, due to holidays in several countries. This year was no different.
- Global steel coil prices peak amid mixed market sentiment27.04.2023The MEPS World average hot rolled coil price exceeded US$1000 per tonne, in April, for the first time since the middle of 2022.
- EU mills’ price aspirations unsupported by the market21.04.2023From December last year, European flat product steelmakers successfully implemented regular price rises.
- EU stainless sector facing reduced demand and prices31.03.2023Hopes of a second quarter recovery in the European stainless steel market are fading. Stockists and distributors in the region report a weak demand outlook, following relatively low sales volumes in the first three months of 2023.
- US stainless steel mills attempt to recover market share02.03.2023Preliminary data shows that imports of stainless cold rolled sheet and strip increased slightly in January, although tonnages still fell short of January 2022 levels, by nearly 50 percent.
- Stainless steel production forecast at 60mt in 202327.02.2023MEPS forecasts that global crude stainless steel production will reach 60 million tonnes, in 2023. Significant contributors to this growth will be steelmakers in China and Indonesia.
- Turkish earthquake to impact global steel supply chain23.02.2023Demand for steel had been picking up, in Turkey, particularly from the real estate sector.
- Upward momentum for European flat product prices stalls17.02.2023The earthquakes which struck Turkey and Syria, on 6 February, devastated buildings and cost many thousands of lives. Full reconstruction will take several years.