Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Outlook for API line pipe market starts to improve04.10.2021The global oil and gas sector continues to recover from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Daily oil prices have been on an upward trend since mid-August. In recent days, expectations of tight supply pushed Brent Crude prices above US$80 per barrel
- European stainless steel market falters in September30.09.2021Stainless steel buying activity, in Europe, was weaker than anticipated, in September. Many market participants commented that their sales volumes, this month, were reasonable, but below those in the pre-summer months.
- Coking coal values surge, as iron ore prices collapse27.09.2021Steelmaking raw material costs are in an extremely turbulent period. The year-long surge in iron ore values recently came to an end. By the middle of September, prices for Chinese imported fines had plummeted by more than fifty percent, when compared with
- Cold heading steel market stabilises in Europe24.09.2021Extended mill delivery lead times continue to support European cold heading quality (CHQ) rod prices. This is despite a recent reduction in raw material expenditure, notably for iron ore and ferrous scrap.
- Italian HRC prices decline on import competition23.09.2021Italian hot rolled coil producers were quick to dismiss the recent fall in domestic pricing as an inevitable consequence of the seasonal reduction in market activity. However, the continued slide in basis values, this month, may indicate that this is part
- European post-holiday steel market waiting for direction21.09.2021Buying activity, in Europe, failed to recover to the anticipated extent, following the summer slowdown. Weakening transaction values and slightly improved availability clouded the future price direction, for all carbon steel products.
- South African steel prices stabilise in August02.09.2021The recent civil unrest in South Africa created a period of disruption. This delayed steel deliveries and impeded economic activity. Investor confidence was negatively affected. This is expected to result in lengthening project timelines.
- World stainless steel production forecast to rise by 11% in 202131.08.2021MEPS has upgraded its global crude stainless steel production forecast to 56.5 million tonnes, for 2021. This represents an 11 percent increase, year-on-year.
- US hot rolled coil prices head towards $2000/st26.08.2021US steel prices continue to escalate to new record highs. The pace of the increases, however, appears to be slowing. This could simply be due to a summer lull in activity, or it may be a sign that prices are nearing their peak. Nevertheless, most supply
- North American rebar prices stabilise, outlook uncertain24.08.2021The North American reinforcing bar market appears to be at a crossroads, this month. Following a successful mill pricing initiative for other long products, US and Canadian buyers speculated that an equivalent rise, for rebar, was likely to be proposed.