Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- European post-holiday steel market waiting for direction21.09.2021Buying activity, in Europe, failed to recover to the anticipated extent, following the summer slowdown. Weakening transaction values and slightly improved availability clouded the future price direction, for all carbon steel products.
- South African steel prices stabilise in August02.09.2021The recent civil unrest in South Africa created a period of disruption. This delayed steel deliveries and impeded economic activity. Investor confidence was negatively affected. This is expected to result in lengthening project timelines.
- World stainless steel production forecast to rise by 11% in 202131.08.2021MEPS has upgraded its global crude stainless steel production forecast to 56.5 million tonnes, for 2021. This represents an 11 percent increase, year-on-year.
- US hot rolled coil prices head towards $2000/st26.08.2021US steel prices continue to escalate to new record highs. The pace of the increases, however, appears to be slowing. This could simply be due to a summer lull in activity, or it may be a sign that prices are nearing their peak. Nevertheless, most supply
- North American rebar prices stabilise, outlook uncertain24.08.2021The North American reinforcing bar market appears to be at a crossroads, this month. Following a successful mill pricing initiative for other long products, US and Canadian buyers speculated that an equivalent rise, for rebar, was likely to be proposed.
- Danish steel buyers expect improved activity in the autumn23.08.2021Few price movements were reported in the Danish steel market, this month. A seasonal lull in purchasing had been widely expected.
- Mills likely to lift CHQ rod prices for Q4 business17.08.2021Tight supply is expected to persist in the European cold heading steel market, in the post-holiday period. The recent escalation in regional wire rod values, came to an end in August.
- Shortages continue to disrupt US stainless steel market30.07.2021Inventory levels across the US stainless steel sector are extraordinarily low. While steel usage rebounded quickly following the pandemic-induced slump
- Steel price differentials between East and West soar to record highs27.07.2021The gap in steel prices between Eastern and Western countries has reached an all-time high. The pace of growth in US transaction values appears to be slowing