Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- 3 reasons Indian steel buyers should pay attention to coal prices10.11.2021China is in the midst of a well-documented coal shortage. Reduced output in the key mining region of Shanxi is being exacerbated by a de facto ban on imports from Australia.
- EU stainless steel buyers concerned about tight supply04.11.2021Scarcity of material and high prices will remain key features of the European stainless steel market, in the last few months of 2021.
- Canadian steel industry rebounds in 202103.11.2021Canada’s steel industry, which was adversely affected by both the coronavirus pandemic and low oil and gas prices in 2020, is recovering strongly. Steel consumption by the energy, construction and mining sectors has rebounded substantially this year.
- Asian stainless steel prices reach ten-year high28.10.2021The MEPS Asian average grade 304 hot and cold rolled coil prices, in October, stand at their highest levels since September 2011. Cold rolled coil transaction values have increased by more than 50 percent, in China, in the past twelve months. In Japan, fl
- Lack of semiconductors short-circuits global HRC prices26.10.2021The MEPS world average hot rolled coil price declined by 3.6 percent, month-on-month, in October, after reaching an all-time high figure in September. This brought to an end a fourteen-month price rally.
- CHQ rod supply and demand reduce in Asia and Europe25.10.2021The global supply of fasteners continues to be hampered by production and transport problems, both in Asia and Europe. MEPS understands that delivery lead times for cold heading quality rod (CHQ), from Asian and European suppliers, remain extended.
- EU coil prices decline as buyers hold back21.10.2021Strong import competition, subdued purchasing activity and weak demand from the automotive sector have contributed to price erosion in the European flat products market. Downward pressure is greater on hot rolled coil values than on those for cold rolled
- New price surcharges blur carbon steel market picture20.10.2021European commodity carbon steel prices continued to fall, into early October. Reduced iron ore and scrap costs were translated into decreased transaction values. However, a recovery in the raw materials market slowed the downward momentum and prices for s
- Outlook for API line pipe market starts to improve04.10.2021The global oil and gas sector continues to recover from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Daily oil prices have been on an upward trend since mid-August. In recent days, expectations of tight supply pushed Brent Crude prices above US$80 per barrel