Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Stainless steel production forecast at 60mt in 202327.02.2023MEPS forecasts that global crude stainless steel production will reach 60 million tonnes, in 2023. Significant contributors to this growth will be steelmakers in China and Indonesia.
- Turkish earthquake to impact global steel supply chain23.02.2023Demand for steel had been picking up, in Turkey, particularly from the real estate sector.
- Upward momentum for European flat product prices stalls17.02.2023The earthquakes which struck Turkey and Syria, on 6 February, devastated buildings and cost many thousands of lives. Full reconstruction will take several years.
- EU mills aim for price rises despite slow start to 202331.01.2023Demand for stainless steel, in Europe, was slow to emerge, in the first few weeks of the new year. Distributors report that enquiry levels are high and sales volumes are steady.
- US longs prices fail to pick up despite rising costs30.01.2023Price trends in the US long product segment traditionally do not scale the heights or plunge to the depths of those for flat rolled steel.
- Steel producers’ pricing policy squeezes distributors24.01.2023By the middle of January, several major European steel producers had signalled significant price rises to the market, citing increased input costs. Distributors are sceptical about the longevity of such a move.
- Stainless steel price rises on the horizon for 202322.12.2022This year has been another turbulent period for the global stainless-steel industry. However, despite the volatile market, companies throughout the supply chain will post strong financial results.
- US HRC values given a timely boost by mill price hikes21.12.2022Flat product prices in the US appear to be at a crossroads. The downward trend in basis values continued for much of November.