Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Global steel prices forecast to remain elevated in 202221.12.2021Steel market participants are becoming increasingly cautious in their purchasing requirements. The forward view on global prices is, gradually, turning more negative, particularly for coil products.
- Year-end uncertainties curb European buying activity15.12.2021At the start of December, steel service centres and distributors were struggling to establish the market direction. Mills’ official prices remained elevated, but stock levels rose as steel consumption reduced.
- Global steel production forecast at record high in 202214.12.2021MEPS has lowered its annual crude steel production forecast to 1,940 million tonnes, for 2021. Nevertheless, this figure is a new peak for global steelmaking, and represents year-on-year growth of 3.4 percent.
- Indonesia drives global stainless steel output growth01.12.2021MEPS has upgraded its global crude stainless steel production forecast to 56.8 million tonnes, in 2021. A slowdown in Chinese output is being offset by stronger-than-expected activity in the rest of the world, particularly in Indonesia.
- EU stainless CR coil prices climb as supply tightens30.11.2021Stainless steel market participants remain cautiously optimistic regarding demand in 2022. This is despite a steady, month-on-month, slowdown in activity since the end of the summer period.
- EU & US cut a narrow path through Trump's trade wall25.11.2021Authorities in the United States and the European Union recently pledged to end their long-running trade dispute over steel and aluminium.