Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- US stainless price gap with rest of the world starts to narrow01.08.2023As reported in early June, stainless steel prices in the United States remain exceptionally high in comparison with those in the rest of the world.
- MEPS International ‘on target’ with company rebrand01.08.2023MEPS International has used its eye-catching company rebrand to underline the accuracy of its steel market data – and its evolution to better meet customers’ changing needs.
- Construction’s faltering fortunes stall steel sales24.07.2023Forecasts suggest the trend of reduced residential construction activity in major global economies is set to continue – contributing to a downturn in steel demand that is affecting prices.
- EU steel mills change approach to attract new orders19.07.2023European steel prices continued their downward trend this month amid poor demand across most steel-using sectors. The number of transactions is small.
- Developing nations critical of ‘protectionist’ EU CBAM18.07.2023Governments and industry bodies branded the EU CBAM as “protectionist” and “coercive” in their responses to the European Commission’s consultation on its implementation.
- New pipeline returns water to ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih14.07.2023An emergency construction programme has succeeded in returning water supplies to the ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih steel mill affected by Ukraine’s Kakhovka dam breach.
- Raw materials volatility puts price stability in doubt10.07.2023Declining raw material values have continued uncertainty about stainless steel prices following MEPS International’s recent forecast that the market had yet to bottom.
- Steelmakers ‘in the dark’ over UK decarbonisation plan05.07.2023Fears that the steel industry remains “in the dark” about the UK’s decarbonisation strategy have been voiced days after steelworkers marched to the Houses of Parliament to raise concerns about the sector’s future.
- Q&A: How CBAM is set to transform EU steel imports30.06.2023MEPS International's one-stop Q&A to answer some of the steel sector’s most frequently asked questions about the European Commission’s incoming Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM).