Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- EU stainless steel buyers query March alloy surcharges04.03.2021Uncertainty currently surrounds European stainless steel alloy surcharges. Many buyers are questioning if the method of calculation used by the mills has changed.
- US stainless steel prices forecast to reach 9-year high03.03.2021The past twelve months was a turbulent time for all those involved in the US stainless steel market. In a dramatic turnaround, the unprecedented pandemic-induced slump in steel requirements was superseded by strong demand, stock shortages and soaring
- Global stainless output falls for first time in 5 years02.03.2021Global crude stainless steel production decreased to approximately 50.7 million tonnes in 2020 – down almost 3 percent, year-on-year. This reduction is lower than initially expected at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Carmakers forced to cut production due to global chip shortage01.03.2021The global car industry is showing signs of a strong recovery, after coming to a standstill when the coronavirus pandemic took hold, early last year.
- Central European buyers adopt ‘wait and see’ positions23.02.2021The steel markets in Poland and the Czech Republic are under review, as buyers assess the current dynamics in supply and demand. The mills, both locally and globally, are processing a substantial backlog of orders.
- As China takes a break, what is next for the global steel market?16.02.2021Steel trading in China may have fallen silent ahead of the Lunar New Year festivities, but it is the global steel market that is taking a breather following a turbulent 12 months.
- Container shortages restrict EU stainless steel imports03.02.2021The cost of container shipping from Asia to Europe has increased significantly in the past few months. This comes at a time when EU stainless steel buyers are faced with long delivery lead times
- EU stainless buyers face shortages as prices surge28.01.2021European stainless steel producers have raised their prices for 300 and 400 series hot and cold rolled coil multiple times throughout December and January.
- As scrap costs fall, what’s next for EU longs prices?25.01.2021A shift in conditions has taken place over the past few months in the global scrap market. A sudden change in the supply/demand balance resulted in scrap values escalating, between November and the middle of January. This has taken many in the European st