Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- How did steel prices reach record highs during a global pandemic?22.06.2021In the past twelve months, the MEPS Europe hot rolled coil price has increased by more than €700 per tonne. How did this unprecedented situation transpire?
- Shortages continue to drive up EU stainless steel prices02.06.2021Limited availability continues to propel European stainless steel prices on an upward trajectory. The MEPS published European average transaction value, for 304 cold rolled coil, increased by approximately €140 per tonne, in May.
- All-time high forecast for global crude stainless steel production in 202128.05.2021After the production slump recorded last year, global crude stainless steel output is predicted to rebound strongly, to 55 million tonnes, in 2021. This is an increase of more than 8 percent from the figure recorded in 2020.
- EU long product prices surge as financial problems grow20.05.2021Prices for European long products gradually started to rise, in late April. The increases accelerated during the first half of May. This trend is set to continue until the summer.
- South African market reels from steel shortages04.05.2021South Africa has not been spared the global trend of steel shortages created by the coronavirus pandemic. Over the past year, supply chain interruptions were compounded by the quick and necessary national lockdown restrictions.