Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- Shortages continue to disrupt US stainless steel market30.07.2021Inventory levels across the US stainless steel sector are extraordinarily low. While steel usage rebounded quickly following the pandemic-induced slump
- Steel price differentials between East and West soar to record highs27.07.2021The gap in steel prices between Eastern and Western countries has reached an all-time high. The pace of growth in US transaction values appears to be slowing
- Flat products demand remains healthy in France, as prices stabilise20.07.2021Activity remains at a good level, in the French steel market. Signs of a slowdown were noted towards the second half of June.
- Protectionist measures support European steel prices despite summer lull19.07.2021European flat product price rises stalled, at the start of this month. MEPS’ European average coil transaction values registered only single-digit euro increases, in July.
- Italian steel market fails to reflect football fever14.07.2021Football fever is currently sweeping Italy following their dramatic European Championship triumph. In contrast, relative calm is being reported in the domestic steel flat products market, this month.
- Polish manufacturing activity hits all-time high02.07.2021The manufacturing industry in Poland continues to recover from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. The IHS Markit Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index rose to an all-time high of 57.2 in May.
- South African steel market demonstrates resilience02.07.2021Despite several headwinds, the South African steel market has shown remarkable resilience during these challenging times.
- US hot rolled coil prices surpass US$1700/st01.07.2021US steel prices continue to climb, with those for hot rolled coil now exceeding US$1700 per short ton. This unprecedented level is matched by strong activity in most end-user sectors. The upward momentum in prices is expected to persist, in the near term.
- EU stainless buyers scrambling to secure tonnages for 202230.06.2021European coil and sheet transaction values continued to rise in June. Further increases are already on the horizon for July.
- Buyers question the need for continued trade protection28.06.2021Steel buyers in many countries are becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of material available in their local markets and the obstructions to obtaining foreign supply.