Latest Steel News
Below you will find MEPS Steel News – the latest news from the global steel sector written by our steel market experts. You can sign up here, to receive the latest articles as soon as they are published.
- European steel buyers seek direction in volatile market21.09.2022Demand for steel is slow to recover, after the summer break. Mill production costs continue to increase. Steel purchasers are uncertain about the future direction of the market.
- Global stainless output forecast to rise 1% this year31.08.2022The risk of a global recession starting in the second half of 2022 is heightened.
- Largest fall in crude steel production in over a decade26.08.2022The decline in global crude steel production continues. Output fell to 149.3 million tonnes in July – 6.5% lower than in the same month in 2021.
- Gas supply woes paralyse Central European steel market25.08.2022Uncertainty is growing in the Central European steel market. Nevertheless, Polish and Czech producers are likely to be hesitant to make further price concessions, in the post-holiday period, due to soaring energy costs.
- Downward trend in European steel coil prices persists22.08.2022Despite earlier expectations that the bottom of the cycle had been reached, European steel coil prices continued to trend downwards, during the past month.
- Shift in US stainless market leads to rapid stock build28.07.2022In the period since April, a rapid shift in market fundamentals has occurred, in the US stainless steel sector.
- Global crude steel production fails to recover in June26.07.2022Figures from worldsteel show that global crude steel output came to 158.1 million tonnes in June – down 5.9% compared with the same month in 2021. Total outturn for the first half of the year is 949.4 million tonnes.